Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Musings on Beauty and the Status Quo

Everyone has a different view and standard of beauty. Some people think that the traditional look is the most beautiful, some go for alternative, some for beauty of the mind, some for beauty of body, but it varies from person to person. What one would term a freak, another would consider beautiful.

What is beautiful to me is color, a colorfulness about a person's soul and personality that cannot be stopped. A sense of adventure, a sense of when to just enjoy the moment. The ability to roll in the grass and be carefree, but still be serious when they need to be. Uniqueness is beauty. If everyone were the same, then it would be such a boring existence.

That's why it is so disappointing to me that people won't accept each other as they are and try not to judge them. Like the old saying goes, you should never judge a book by its cover. Stereotypes are tiring and hide the person beneath the outer shell.

I dye my hair so I must crave attention. I bite my thumb at thee, ye who dare judge me by the blue in my hair. My perception of beauty is different from yours, my self expression in my hair rather than hidden. Do not judge me, write me off as someone who is a delinquent, someone who is just trying to rebel. Maybe I am, just a little, but why not shatter the status quo to make way for a brighter future with less judgement? I'm a quad major and I will not be defined by the blue in my hair.

What do you think about the social stigma around hair dyed unnatural colors and piercings?

No comments:

Post a Comment