Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

It's all love...

So why do people judge so much?

Disclaimer: As this was written over the course of quite a few days, I cannot guarantee that it will flow as well as it could, though I did my best to make sure that it least made sense! >.<;;

Today as I watched the news, and saw the lines and lines of people going to get married in New York because of their legalization of gay marriage, I wondered why people make judgements about people who are just in love. I dream of the day that everyone can get married; gay, straight, bisexual, polyamorous... it wouldn't matter, because we'd realize as a population that all that matters in a relationship between people is love.

It's not right to deny people their right to be recognized by their government as together just because the government seems to rule by standards set by the Bible, regardless of what they say about religion and state being completely separate.

Though, government aside, I don't understand why most people aren't tolerant of other peoples' sexualities and beliefs. It's not hurting you, and it's certainly none of your business what they do in their bedrooms. If it's love, it's love-- not depravity, and not anything unholy. Regular relationships can be more depraved than those of homosexuals or that of polyamorous couples.

And as I write, I realize that really, I want that to be the next legalization that happens, after everyone accepts homosexual marriages. Poly relationships are really not any different than other "regular" relationships when it comes down to it-- love, support, and the willingness to be there for each other through thick and thin. And there are those that would call it impure, even though, really, a relationship is a relationship.

I was lucky enough to go to a very  liberal high school, where for the most part no one really cared what or who you did, as long as it wasn't hurting anyone-- and for that I'm grateful. It is really tragic when I hear reports on the news of people being persecuted because of their sexuality, and even worse when I hear reports where the person in question has taken their own life. Any loss of life is a tragedy, and for something so preventable-- so very able to be stopped if everyone minded their own business, or even better, were tolerant of all other practices and beliefs.

So think a little, be more tolerant, and maybe everyone can be a hero through prevention.

No comments:

Post a Comment